Fuel Cell Technology
- What is a Fuel Cell Vehicle?
A Fuel Cell Vehicle (FCV), like the Clarity Fuel Cell, is a long-range all-electric vehicle that uses a fuel cell stack to create electricity on demand.
Although it’s an electric vehicle, there is never a need to “charge” the car with a plug. Instead, it is simply refueled in 3-5 minutes at a hydrogen station. Since the Clarity has a 360-mile range rating,* the time between fill-ups is similar to what you would experience in a traditional gasoline-powered vehicle—except the Clarity produces zero emissions. In fact, the only byproduct of this power source is water vapor.
68 city/67 highway/68 combined miles per gallon of gasoline-equivalent (MPGe) rating; 360-mile driving-range rating. Based on 2020 EPA range rating. Use for comparison purposes only. Your range will vary based on how you drive and maintain your vehicle, driving conditions, powertrain condition, and other factors.
- What is hydrogen?
- Hydrogen is the lightest and most abundant element in the Universe. While it is found everywhere in nature, there are also many sustainable ways to produce hydrogen for refueling Fuel Cell Vehicles. Methods range from electrolysis of water using renewable power to reforming biogas, a renewable resource.
- What is a fuel cell and how does it work?
A Fuel Cell Vehicle generates electricity using a process that combines hydrogen and oxygen inside its fuel cell, and emits only water.
More specifically, hydrogen ions flow through a catalyst, splitting off its electrons. The electrons then flow along a wire from positive to negative, generating useable electricity, while the balance of hydrogen ions pass through a membrane and regroup on the other side, combining with oxygen to form water. The electricity generated by the electrons goes through a conductor to create on-demand electrical currents as the accelerator is pressed, offering varying amounts of power desired by the driver. Benefits include zero emissions plus a smooth and quiet driving experience that is also highly responsive due to the electric motor.
- What is the difference between fuel cell, plug-in hybrid and battery electric cars?
While all three powertrains use an electric drive motor, there are several differences that allow each vehicle to suit various lifestyles and driving uses.
Fuel Cell Vehicles typically have range ratings of 300 miles or more and refueling times under 5 minutes, along with a highly-efficient fuel cell to create the on-demand electricity for power, with no emissions.
A battery electric vehicle (BEV) obtains its power from electricity stored in highly-efficient and powerful batteries that require recharging via a power outlet. A BEV also produces no emissions, and has range ratings that can vary from 50-315 miles, depending on battery capacity. Recharge times can vary from 1-10 hours.
Plug-in Hybrid vehicles use a traditional gasoline engine as well as an electric motor with a battery to allow all-electric driving capability. By utilizing this hybrid powertrain, the vehicle can be driven fuel-efficiently for long driving distances. When driven in EV mode, it produces zero emissions. The battery can be recharged from a power outlet much like a battery electric vehicle.
Advantages Of Clarity Fuel Cell
- What are the advantages of the Clarity Fuel Cell over other cars?
The advancements in the Honda Clarity Fuel Cell are the result of 20 years of Honda research and development.
One of the biggest engineering breakthroughs of the Honda Clarity Fuel Cell is that the entire fuel cell powertrain fits under its hood. This frees up valuable cabin space for a spacious interior that seats five adults, whereas some other fuel cell vehicles can only fit four.* There’s also ample cargo space, so you don't have to leave anything behind.
Compared to other fuel cell vehicles, the Clarity Fuel Cell features a luxurious, comfortable interior made from approximately 80% eco-conscious materials.
It’s also smooth, quiet and exciting to drive, due to its independent suspension, aerodynamic 18-inch alloy wheels and specially-designed sport tires. A flat underbody, contoured shape and air ducts ahead of the wheel openings enhance aerodynamics and reduce turbulence. This helps the Clarity receive a 360-mile EPA range rating – approximately 50 miles higher than the closest competing fuel-cell sedan’s ratings – and best-in-class* fuel efficiency.
Additionally, the available HondaLink® App connects you to a world of online content both inside and outside of your Clarity Fuel Cell. Stay in touch with its many features, including real-time vehicle fuel level and range, and the ability to pre-condition cabin temperature from outside the vehicle. The HondaLink® App comes equipped with StationFinder, which locates the nearest approved hydrogen fueling station, gives you the station’s current status and can provide you directions right to it.
Carrying too much cargo or improperly storing it can affect the handling, stability and operation of this vehicle. Follow applicable load limits and loading guidelines.
68 city / 67 highway / 68 combined miles per gallon of gasoline-equivalent (MPGe) rating; 360-mile driving-range rating. Based on 2020 EPA rating. Use for comparison purposes only. Your MPGe and driving range will vary based on how you drive and maintain your vehicle, driving conditions, powertrain condition, and other factors.
- What are the emissions of the Clarity Fuel Cell?
Zero. The Clarity Fuel Cell is certified by the California Air Resources Board (CARB) as a Zero-Emissions Vehicle* with the only byproduct being water vapor – redefining the concept of clean and fun-to-drive mobility.
ZEV (Zero-Emission Vehicle) model as certified by the California Air Resources Board (CARB).
In accordance with EPA and ARB 2020 vehicle certification.
- Is the car produced sustainably?
- The premium interior fabric materials of the Clarity Fuel Cell feel so luxurious you’d never guess they were made from approximately 80% eco-conscious materials and recycled products. From the headliner to the carpet, the Clarity Fuel Cell is just one example of the initiatives set by Honda for creating sustainable, zero-waste products and manufacturing processes.
- Does the Clarity Fuel Cell run on water?
- No, however, water vapor is the natural—and only—byproduct of fuel-cell technology. The Clarity Fuel Cell can however run on hydrogen that is created by electrolyzing water using renewable electricity.
- How safe is hydrogen?
Many steps are taken at both hydrogen station and vehicle levels, which include hydrogen sensors, adherence to safety standards and electronic shut-off valves, to help ensure safety performance.
Hydrogen itself is lighter than air and disperses quickly into the atmosphere, and when handled responsibly and with proper care, it is no more dangerous than other common vehicle fuels.
- How safe is the Clarity Fuel Cell?
Like all Honda cars, the Clarity Fuel Cell has been designed to have a high level of safety performance.
Honda has spent the last 20 years developing and redefining fuel cell technology. Our engineers mounted the hydrogen fuel tanks securely in the sub frame. Tanks are designed to meet numerous stringent global safety standards and constructed with a high-tech aluminum wound in carbon fiber, making them incredibly strong and impact-resistant. Additionally, the Clarity Fuel Cell comes equipped with the Honda Sensing™ suite of safety and driver-assistive technology features, including Collision Mitigation Braking System™ (CMBS™),* among others. Clarity Fuel Cell also utilizes the next-generation of the Advanced Compatibility Engineering™ (ACE™) Body Structure for improved frontal crash protection.
Collision Mitigation Braking System™ (CMBS™)
CMBS cannot detect all objects ahead and may not detect a given object; accuracy will vary based on weather, speed and other factors. System operation affected by high interior heat. Driver remains responsible for safely operating car and avoiding collisions.
- What are the torque and horsepower ratings?
The Clarity Fuel Cell gives drivers 221 lb.-ft.* of smooth, responsive torque and 174 horsepower.*
Horsepower: 174 hp*
Torque: 221 lb-ft*
221 lb-ft @ 0-3500 rpm
- What’s the difference between driving a fuel cell vehicle and a gasoline-powered vehicle?
While a fuel cell vehicle has much of the same basic driving functionality as a gasoline-powered vehicle, there are several things that set the Clarity Fuel Cell apart.
Honda has taken its rich history in motorsports and combined it with Fuel Cell Technology to bring you a vehicle that is fun to drive. Clarity Fuel Cell has excellent performance and handling thanks to its high-torque electric motor, weight distribution and multi-link rear suspension. Rolling on 18-inch aerodynamic alloy wheels with exclusive low-rolling resistance sport performance tires, the electric motor generates rapid acceleration the moment you press the accelerator. This power on demand provides smooth take offs and an overall quieter drive. For more responsive acceleration, switch to Sport mode with the touch of a button.
- What is the fuel economy rating of the Clarity Fuel Cell?
The EPA Fuel Economy rating is: 68 city / 67 highway / 68 combined MPGe.*
68 city / 67 highway / 68 combined MPGe 360-mile rating. Based on 2020 EPA mileage rating. Use for comparison purposes only. Your MPGe and driving range will vary based on how you drive and maintain your vehicle, driving conditions, powertrain condition, and other factors.
- How far can I drive before refueling?
You should be able to drive a long way, as the Clarity Fuel Cell received a 360-mile EPA range rating.*
68 city / 67 highway / 68 combined miles per gallon of gasoline-equivalent (MPGe) rating; 360-mile driving-range rating. Based on 2020 EPA range rating. Use for comparison purposes only. Your range will vary based on how you drive and maintain your vehicle, driving conditions, powertrain condition, and other factors.
- Where can I fuel the Clarity Fuel Cell?
Your Honda dealer will help you set up the easy-to-use HondaLink® App with StationFinder that will locate all the approved hydrogen fueling stations, and can map you to your nearest or most convenient one. You may also refer to the California Fuel Cell Partnership website (http://cafcp.org/stationmap) to find active and upcoming hydrogen fueling stations.
- How do I fuel the Clarity Fuel Cell?
Fueling your Clarity Fuel Cell is as simple as fueling a traditional gasoline powered car and can be done in 3-5 minutes. Your Clarity dealer can provide simple instructions for refueling, and most hydrogen dispensers also provide on-screen training prompts to guide you through the fueling process.
When you first pull up to a hydrogen dispenser, you will be prompted to follow each successive step. While most dispensers will have two available pressures, and the Clarity is capable of using both, be sure to select the H70 pressure option to help maximize your range. When fueling is complete, you will be prompted to disconnect the nozzle and carefully return it to the dispenser. Your total will be deducted from your fuel payment card.*
Honda Hydrogen Fuel Cell Card
Included with every Clarity Fuel Cell lease is a card issued by Honda Federal Credit Union with “up to” $15,000 towards the purchase of Hydrogen Fuel limited for use at Hydrogen Stations for fuel only. Card and value on card is non transferable, cannot be exchanged for cash and is good to the original lessee only for the three year term of the lease or $15,000 whichever comes first. Temporary card is issued at first to the owner, available for immediate use, with a customized card sent to the customer within 10 days of vehicle lease approval by Honda Financial Services. Customer will have access to a phone and web interface available for questions once the card is issued.
- How long does it take to fuel the Clarity Fuel Cell?
- Similar to a traditional gasoline powered car, the fueling process will take just 3-5 minutes.
- What happens if I run out of fuel?
- Clarity Fuel Cell was designed with a large fuel gauge, plus audible and visual low fuel warnings, and a range-to-empty meter that shows available miles to help you avoid running out of fuel. However, in the rare case this happens, our 24/7 Roadside Assistance has you covered and will transport your car to the nearest hydrogen fueling station at no cost to you. Call 866-372-5139 for assistance with this or other roadside assistance needs.
Leasing A Clarity Fuel Cell
- How can I get a Clarity Fuel Cell?
- You must live within close proximity to hydrogen refueling station(s) and be a qualified lessee. Reach out to your authorized Honda Clarity Fuel Cell dealer for more information or to address any exceptions you think might allow you to qualify.
- How can I qualify?
- The Clarity Fuel Cell is currently only available in California, and eligibility is based on your proximity to one or more approved hydrogen fueling stations in the northern and southern CA station network through one of our participating dealerships. We recommend that either your home or work zip code is within proximity to a participating dealer and hydrogen fueling station(s). Click here to find out if you live in a qualifying area. Reach out to your authorized Honda Clarity Fuel Cell dealership for more information.
- What colors does the Clarity Fuel Cell come in?
- The Clarity Fuel Cell is available in three color combinations – Crimson Pearl exterior with a Platinum Gray Leather interior, Platinum White Pearl exterior with a Brown Leather interior, and Crystal Black Pearl with a Black Leather interior.
- Can I test drive a Clarity Fuel Cell?
- The Clarity Fuel Cell is currently available for test drives at participating California Honda Clarity dealerships.
- What credits, subsidies or rebates are available for the Clarity Fuel Cell?
- Clarity Fuel Cell lessees may be eligible for a $5,000 rebate from the state of California, while funding supplies last. Click here for more details.
- How do I get the HOV sticker?
- In California, drivers of qualifying clean alternative-fuel vehicles such as plug-in hybrids and zero-emission vehicles are eligible to apply for an HOV sticker through the California Department of Motor Vehicles. Under regulations, once you receive the sticker, you may use designated HOV lanes, even if you’re driving alone. Please contact your dealer or the California DMV for details, or visit https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/dmv/vr/decal. Other states and localities have different requirements. Check with your state or local authorities for further requirements.
- How do I maintain the Clarity Fuel Cell during the lease?
- Maintaining the Clarity Fuel Cell is similar to maintaining any vehicle, and your owners manual lists the necessary maintenance items and schedule handy. When it’s time for regular maintenance on your Clarity Fuel Cell, the Maintenance Minder™ System will alert you through a visual icon on your instrument panel. Standard maintenance will include services such as checking numerous systems on your car, including fluids, your fuel system, your brake system and tire pressure.
- Can I purchase the Clarity Fuel Cell?
- At this time, the Clarity Fuel Cell is only available for lease in California.
Content may not apply to all models. Consult your owner's manual for specific information about your vehicle.